As a Data Center Manager, you will be responsible for developing an established team, as well as leading and assisting in the development of the electrical and mechanical infrastructure. Your duties will include day-to-day organization and maintenance across a significant joint venture data center in the UAE, where you will also take responsibility for budget management and have direct customer engagement. The Data Center Manager is responsible for the overall operation and maintenance of all electrical, mechanical, and HVAC equipment within the data center. The Data Center Manager will assist in maintaining high reliability and performance while keeping operating costs in the facilities at a minimum.
Reporting To: Operations Manager
- People management of a DC team of shift engineers/technicians and other support functions.
- Provides the team with technical support and advice on complex critical issues. Acts as SME and leads team members’ training.
- Reviews specialist contractual reports and activities and internal reporting. Vendor reports, internal reports, KPIs.
- Leads the site in the maintenance and upkeep of all data centre infrastructure according to uptime standards. Make recommendations based on knowledge and experience. Advises upon the implementation of engineering global standards.
- Leads that all repairs performed on all data centre infrastructure are according to the manufacturer’s guidelines and standard methodologies.
- Liaises with other departments within the organization.
- Communicates and coordinates activities with on-site staff during an incident.
- Assists with root cause analysis, and incident resolution and makes recommendations for eliminating potential problems.
- Holds reviews with customers and forms part of an escalation.
- Manages operational budgets.
- Engage in improvement projects, often requiring reaching out to a variety of support teams and driving them from conception to completion.
- Coordinates daily with a multitude of third-party vendors to ensure adherence to contracted SLAs.
- Planning 24X7 resource availability and readiness for backup/emergency.
- Understanding confidentiality of mission-critical business and ensuring the team follows the same.
- Motivate a culture of clear communication to earn customers’ trust and deliver results.
- Communicate clear updates to the business and highlight the progress/risks proactively.
- Ensuring change management with appropriate approvals is followed.
- Conduct regular 1 to 1 with the team and clear communication of business expectations.
- Facility availability as per the agreement with minimal downtime as per SLA.
- Reviewing SOO for the MEP systems and ensuring the team follows the same.
- On-call availability to take care of any breakdown or planned critical maintenance
- Ensuring, the team understands the criticality of live systems & follows the change management process.
- Submitting the monthly report for the site’s performance and deliverables as per SLA.
- Strict follow-up of resources to deliver results within a given deadline.
- RCA analysis and implementing learning from past incidents.
- Enterprise asset management and maintaining critical spares.
- Improving PUE and touching all the key areas that impact the PUE derivatives.
- Challenging the existing setup to find any SPOF.
- Conduct utility failover testing as per the company’s policy.
- Reviewing the Facility requirements and being able to identify must-haves and good to have.
- Maintaining documentation like SOP, EOP, MOP, Policy etc.
- Vendor onboarding and budgeting/planning for future expansions.
- Ensure that all the resources (Engineers / Technicians/Supervisors) are confident to run operations and if needed conduct necessary training.
- Reporting to management with involved risks and future capacity planning.
- Work in line with customers like TPM, construction managers, logistics, security, IT team, procurement, finance etc.
- Ensuring that the drive for energy efficiency is not reducing capacity safety margins and system redundancy.
- Increasing the importance of proactive maintenance and smart Tools like (DCIM).
- Motivating SMEs to raise the bar in their key areas and cross-functional knowledge by sharing 360 deg feedback for improvements and enhancements.
- Coming up with more innovative ideas to encourage automation for delivering better output.
- Having a disaster management plan in place.
- Enhancing safety culture onsite and motivating QHSE best practices.
- Having all the vendor/support partner’s contact/escalation list updated.
- Highlighting and preplanning the decommissioning/replacement of EOL assets
- Support in snagging and de-snagging of the new expansions with continuous follow-ups to project teams.
- Knowledge of power systems (UPS, Control Panels, DB’s, Busway systems, Generators)
- Knowledge of cooling systems (HVACs, chillers, VRV)
- Knowledge of ELV Systems (DDC, BMS, Access Control System, CCTV, Fire alarm system)
- Working knowledge of MEP systems and associated switch gear and distribution panels, control circuits, DX Units, & ELV Systems
- Skill in installation, repair, and maintenance of all types of MEP system equipment and components
- Basic English knowledge is required.
- Basic working knowledge of PC systems and the CAFM mobile app
- Persistent and self-motivated.
- Excellent organizational skills and the initiative to learn and take on new responsibilities.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Good problem-solving skills and the ability to meet demanding time constraints.
- Self-motivated and independent.
- Excels with ambiguous situations as a chance to show leadership.
- Strong team player with the ability to influence/develop/maintain relationships with internal/external contacts.
- Articulate, friendly, and diplomatic with the ability to negotiate.
- Previous experience in complete management of a team, i.e., giving appraisals, day-to-day organization & setting objectives.
- A degree in Electrical or Mechanical is essential.
- Mission-critical Engineering experience of at least 10 years (Tier III or IV) accredited is needed preferably with MEP bias.
- CDCP/CDCMP/ATD will be added advantage.